Over the past year and a bit I’ve been getting a ton of questions asking if I was still cooking. Fair question, it’s only been since NOVEMBER of 2014 that I last posted anything on this thing!
For those of you wondering, of course I’ve been cooking, we eat at home almost every weeknight… but no I’ve not been blogging… why? Tons of reasons, but the main one is time limitations. Blogging is not a quick and easy thing (like these wheat-free chicken nuggets… but we will get to those in just a minute!). It takes tons of trial and error to get your recipe right, even more time to get your photos right (and I like eating my food HOT!), and then, you guessed it, more time to write up your post. I do, however, miss sharing recipes of delicious foods we’ve discovered so here is my attempt to get back to it… starting with these little golden nuggets.
I ask to have these almost every night… I am obsessed. Likely, it’s because I can actually eat these chicken nuggets but it might be the crunch factor of the corn flakes. I always thought that chicken nuggets would need to be deep fried to get that crunch but these guys are healthier than that. They are baked. They also take ten minutes to prep and twenty minutes of baking time… just make a salad or something similar while they are cooking and dinner could be ready in 30!
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 2 inch pieces*
- 1 packet ranch seasoning and salad dressing mix
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour (I used Bob's Red Mill All Purpose GF Flour)
- 1 cup corn flake crumbs** (or 1 cup of crushed corn flakes)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a baking tray with tin foil.
- Get three smaller bowls. In the first, add the ranch packet and flour, whisk to combine well. In the second, add the corn flake crumbs and in the third, add the beaten eggs.
- Once your chicken is cut into pieces, take some chop sticks (optional, but it saves your hands from a HUGE mess) and dip each piece into the bowls. First, the flour mixture, then the egg mixture, followed by the corn flakes. Make sure the chicken is well coated in each of the bowls, but especially the corn flake crumbs as that will give you the crunch.
- Place the chicken on the baking tray and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Serve with dips of your choosing (ranch is my favourite with this! Other great options include BBQ sauce, ketchup, and hot sauce)
- * Chicken pieces can be any size you want, as long as you are consistent. If you want 4 inch pieces, just make sure all of your pieces are generally the same size for even cooking
- ** These can be found at most grocery stores in with the bread crumbs (https://www.kelloggsfamilyrewards.com/en_US/products/kellogg-s-corn-flake-crumbs-product.html)