I have this weird thing with ginger ale. It’s my solution every time I don’t feel well: stomach ache – for sure ginger ale, head ache – probably ought to give ginger ale a go, your knee is swollen – ginger ale? to help the swelling? worth a shot?
I also thoroughly enjoy mixing it with whiskey – try it!!! Except I really hate all of the sugar that comes with it so I decided to solve my own problem with this drink – the sugarless homemade ginger ale. PS-it’s insanely delicious, like as good as the stuff you spend $4.00 on at whole foods and you get way more out of it! You can also modify as necessary – make it as gingery as you like (just add more or less of the syrup to the soda).
So fix all your ailments and make this healthy ginger ale!
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup fresh shreded ginger
- 1/2 cup agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons lime zest
- 6 oz soda water (per ginger ale you want to make; if you want to make it all at once 24oz)
- In a pot heat water, ginger, agave, and lime zest for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and strain ginger syrup to remove lime and ginger pieces.
- Let ginger syrup cool in the fridge.
- Once completely cool, add 2-3 oz ginger syrup to 6 oz soda (per drink), over ice and enjoy!
- Leave syrup (unmixed) covered in the fridge until ready to drink (up to one week).