Two and a half weeks ago I found myself exploring one of my favourite cities, New York. Maybe it’s because of where I am in my life – constantly on the go, definitely hustling, and really really food focused (can you tell?!) – that I am completely obsessed with NYC. I think it’s mostly the fact that the city really does never sleep and that there is always something exciting happening.
When I told my friends I was going there everyone had amazing suggestions, which naturally all revolved around eating and drinking (I clearly hangout with the right people!). The amount of delicious food I consumed is still overwhelming to think about. One of the healthier food choices I made while I was there was a salad from Hudson Clearwater – a quaint restaurant in West Village with no sign in front and was what seemed like a hot spot for locals.
As we know, I am not a salad person but the salad I ate at Hudson Clearwater was arguably just on the cusp of being a salad; I would almost even call it a quinoa bowl as there is much more quinoa than there are greens. It can also be eaten as a full meal (I usually struggle justifying having a salad for dinner so that is big of me to say!). So I had to recreate this healthy dish. The greens and the quinoa compliment each other so well and the addition of the pear confit adds a sweet touch to this dish. I am totally a texture person so the crunch the almonds add help complete the salad.
I guess until I move there I’ll have to live with bringing the littlest bit of NYC into my kitchen, I suggest you do the same!
- 1.5 cups red quinoa
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1.5 cups swiss chard
- 1.5 cups kale
- 1/2 cup almond silvers
- 2 or 3 large anjou pears, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Desired amount of asiago cheese
- 4-6 eggs (depending on how many dishes you're making)
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook red quiona as per package instructions (usually 1:2 quinoa to liquid ratio) in a pot. I usually use a stock instead of water for more flavor (hence the veggie stock in the ingredient list).
- In a medium pan, heat oil, sugar, and pears over low heat for 10-15 minutes (until pears are soft and shrunken). Remove from heat and let cool.
- Cut swiss chard and kale into bite sized strips.
- Once your quinoa is done cooking, add in pears, almonds, swiss chard, and kale. Mix well.
- Poach your eggs the way you like or if you don't have a specific method use this: bring water and vinegar in a large pot to a slow boil and stir the water in a circular motion. Crack one egg into a small dish or spoon and gently place it into the water, repeat per egg. Remove after 2-4 minutes (depending on desired done-ness).
- Plate your quinoa, add your poached egg and cheese.
- Can serve 4-6 depending on your portion sizes.
- I like to use the egg yolk as my "dressing" but if you wanted you could use the remaining oil and sugar sauce from your pear confit.