It has come to my attention that people are unaware of the proper techniques of eating cupcakes. This is really not a good thing. The full cupcake experience is not had when you don’t use the proper cupcake eating techniques. Don’t worry though, at the end of this post there is a video guide to help you learn the how-to’s of cupcake eating. So please stop missing out on full cupcake experiences and stop only tasting either the cupcake or the icing; the cupcake deserves to be eaten properly and frankly, you deserve to taste it all.
Ok, got that rant out of the way. Can we talk about how pretty these are?! I stumbled across The Flour Pots photo of her’s on Instagram and instantly fell in love with the colour. Naturally I had to make them myself. I am a big fan of adding the most random things to chocolate cakes because based on past experiences it is SO DAMN GOOD. So the random ingredient and key to the prettiest colour ever: BEETS!
Oh ya, I would have turned my nose up to that strange concept originally too but trust me; they are pretty and taste delicious and make you feel like they are almost (or should be healthy)… PS – they aren’t but winter is coming, am I right?!
- 2-7 beets (size dependent, you want about a cup once you grate them), trimmed of greens
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose gluten free flour (Bob's Red Mill!!!) or regular flour, if you desire
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Wrap the beets in tin foil and bake on a baking sheet for approximately 45 minutes to an hour (again, depending on the size of your beets). You will know they are done when a knife easily slides through them.
- Remove the beets from the oven and let them cool completely. Peel beets and finely grate - you need 3/4 cups for the cupcakes and 2 tablespoons for the icing.
- Line your cupcake tins (this makes approx. 18 cupcakes) with liners (or not but good luck getting the cupcakes out...!)
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk your flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together.
- Using a stand or electric mixer, cream the butter and the sugars together on high until light and fluffy; approximately 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating with your mixer each time until they are fully combined.
- Once the eggs are fully incorporated, mix in the vanilla and 3/4 cups of the grated beets.
- Add half of the dry mixture to the wet mixture and mix on low. Slowly add the buttermilk and mix until just combined.
- Add the other half of the dry ingredients and beat until the consistency of the batter is homogenous. Be careful not to over mix.
- Divide evenly among your muffin tins leaving 1/4 of an inch at the top for the cupcakes to expand.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 2-3 cups icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely grated beets (from recipe above)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Using a stand or electric mixer, beat cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add butter and beet on high for one minute.
- Mix in beets and vanilla until just combined.
- A cup at a time, sift icing sugar into mixture. Alternate 1 cup icing sugar and 1 tablespoon buttermilk or lemon juice until your desired consistency is reached.
- Once your cupcakes are cooled, decorate as desired.
- This will be really sweet but if you eat your cupcake like a boss (see video) it works perfectly!
Alas: how to eat a cupcake like a BOSS. Seriously, this is a game changer.