And my barbeque obsession continues… I still can’t turn it on by myself or operate it in any way. I can, however, prepare and eat barbequed food really well. Especially the eating part. Even more especially when it’s barbequed pizza.
To all my gluten-less friends how gross can gluten free pizza crust be? Like mushy and raw tasting, right?! Nasty. Well, the BBQ fixes that. It gets the crust nice and crispy and it feels like you’re eating real life pizza crust with all sorts of delicious gluten in it. Now to all my full on gluten lovers; don’t feel obligated to make the gluten-free crust. If you’re going to pre-judge it go with what you know, but you can still get that crispy crust from the BBQ.
I’m a veggie pizza person but you can get creative and add on whatever toppings you like to your pizza if you’re not into my suggestion below. I will say that tomatoes, asparagus and gorgonzola should be best friends with they way their flavors compliment each other.
So, the sun’s out, time to get BBQ-ing!
- 1 package Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Pizza Crust (yeast is included)
- 1.5 cups warm water
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon rosemary (chopped)
- Pesto (as much as desired to put on one 16 inch pizza or two 12 inch pizzas)
- 1.5 cups cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 6 spears asparagus (sliced thinly)
- 1 cup gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup fresh arugula
- In a small bowl mix 1.5 cups warm water with yeast. Let sit for two minutes.
- Using an electric mixer, beat eggs and olive oil for one minute. Add yeast and beat for 30 seconds. Add in Bob's Red Mill Pizza Crust mix, sea salt, and rosemary and mix until the dough is a consistent texture.
- Separate dough into two halves (still in your mixing bowl) and cover with a tea towel for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes roll out your dough into desired shape (I find it easiest to roll it on a piece of parchment paper that is very well floured so your dough can easily be transferred to the BBQ)
- Heat BBQ to 400°F.
- Place dough on the BBQ and close lid for 3 minutes. Flip the dough and begin placing your toppings starting with the pesto and then in any order you like after that.
- Cook with the lid closed for an additional 15 minutes, until the bottom of the crust is crispy and the cheese is melted.
- Cut and serve warm